Senior R&D Specialist
Interested in joining a private Canadian family business? Today, Levitts Foods is one of the largest smoked deli meat processors in Canada and is rapidly developing new customer segments and innovative product lines. We work with the latest technologies and offer a dynamic and stimulating environment with many advancement opportunities. We are looking for committed people to join our team!
The R&D Specialist is responsible for Levitts’ (including our Maillard Sous-vide and Charcuterie Parisienne dry-cured brands) Innovation, Product Improvement, Regulatory and Cost Saving. Assisting leadership in developing departments’ strategy towards innovation for our retail and foodservice portfolio, the role is also working with the culinary, marketing and the rest of the business in creating new products and process, as well as overseeing regulatory, certificates and participating in trials and inspections. We offer a flexible, short turnaround, exciting and open-minded product development environment.
- Develop and execute new initiatives using new ingredients, processes and procedures for our existing product portfolio and new product initiatives in order to achieve the best in class products and maximizing production yield;
- Develop and execute our clean label product portfolio, our dry-cured Charcuterie Parisienne portfolio and our Sous-vide Maillard portfolio;
- Manage progression through milestones and execution of product development projects through designing experimental framework, building/ reviewing analytical data, developing validation SOPs and product specifications, and identifying potential challenges to management;
- Deliver cost effective product formulations that are regulatory complaint, and aligned with company values;
- Research, and collaborate with external research institutes or suppliers to deepen knowledge in clean-label field; investigate new ingredients and technology;
- Apply knowledge of Health Canada and FDA regulations to conduct label review and resolve regulatory issues;
- Lead sensory evaluation and shelf life study to support product launches and consistency;
- Work closely with QA and Operations teams to ensure the success of trials, product launches, and troubleshooting when necessary;
- Assist in application and maintenance of Halal, Gluten-free and other certifications;
- Attend training courses and trade shows to keep up with latest industry trends.
Skills and Qualifications
- Education: Minimum BSc in Food Science or related field;
- Experience: Minimum 3 years’ experience in Product development related position with either food science or culinary background;
- Strong industrial research and analytical skills, with experience in meat protein;
- Understanding of meat curing and processing (injection, tumbling, smoking, slicing), dry-cured sausages and sous-vide applications an asset;
- Strong ability to plan, develop and implement team-based systems;
- Quick thinker and possess great attention to detail;
- Knowledge of Canadian food regulations and standards;
- Passionate, proactive, and optimistic attitude and ability to work independently;
- Advanced computer skills including MS Excel, Word and Outlook;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Willingness to travel and have schedule flexibility;
Job Type: Full-time
- • Company profit sharing program;
- • VRSP with Fonds FTQ;
- • Paid day on birthday;
- • Extended health care;
- • Disability insurance;
- • Employee assistance program;
- • Life insurance;
- • On-site parking;
- • Paid time off;
- • Vision care.
- Monday to Friday
We follow all Provincial and industry procedures.